From 19 November 2016, the following visas would be closed to new applications:
- Subclass 401 Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa
- Subclass 402 Training and Research visa
- Subclass 416 Special Program visa
- Subclass 420 Temporary Work (Entertainment) visa
- Subclass 488 Superyacht Crew visa.
Applications lodged before 19 November 2016 would be processed under pre-19 November 2016 legislation.
There would be four new visa subclasses introduced from 19 November 2016:
- Subclass 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa
- Subclass 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) visa
- Subclass 407 Training visa
- Subclass 408 Temporary Activity visa.
The new framework is designed to make applying for a temporary visa easier. It would reduce red tape for business, industry and individuals by removing sponsorship and nomination requirements for specific short stay activities.